As a small business owner or hiring manager, the thought of spending the time and money to hire another person might be overwhelming or exhausting. Hiring the right candidate for the job is sometimes all it takes to get your productivity soaring and carrying profits to the next level.
Cannabis is undoubtedly one of the fastest-growing industries in the United States today. But, how do you know if you’re at that crucial tipping point where adding an additional member to your team will make a positive impact on your growing company instead of dragging you down?
Never fear. We will tell you the top six telltale signs that it’s time for you to upsize your cannabusiness team, so you can strike while the iron is hot.
1. Spikes in Overtime. If you find that you are increasingly having to shell out the extra dough to pay your employees to work more than 40 hours per week, this can be a major sign that you need more hands on deck.
2. High or Increased Employee Turnover. Overworked employees, whether they are stretched too thin during their scheduled shifts, or having to work longer hours than originally scheduled, leads to burnout and decreased job satisfaction. These factors are among the main reasons employees site for seeking alternative employment.
3. Increased Customer Complaints. When existing employees are overwhelmed, they have less time to spend helping patrons or clients. We all tend to be shorter with people when we feel like we have too much to do. If a team member feels like they are always playing catch-up, then this greatly reduces the overall quality of their work and their productivity.
Your company’s customer service will suffer, leading customers to not only issue complaints, but ultimately seek better service elsewhere—like your competitors.
4. Missing Goals and Deadlines. If your team has been finding it increasingly difficult to complete tasks or projects within the expected or predetermined amount of time, then it may be time to reevaluate each team member’s workload. Determining which tasks or projects could be unloaded onto an additional staff member will help you form a clearer picture of the type of employee you will seek.
5. A Gap in Skill Set. If your business could use a specialized skill, whether it be accounting / QuickBooks experience or highly developed knowledge on specific strains and terpenes, it may be wise to hire a candidate with expertise or experience within that specific skill set as opposed to training existing staff who lack the skills to perform a particular task.
6. You Can Never Take Time off to Enjoy Your Life. If you feel trapped by your business or think the place will fall apart if you’re not there, it is time to delegate.
When business owners feel overwhelmed, is likely due to a lack of faith in existing staff to tackle specific tasks, or not wanting to overwhelm another employee who may already have too much on their plate.
Hiring an additional staff person will eliminate the obstacle to delegating some of your responsibilities to a capable and trusted team member when you need a break. Alleviating the feeling of constant pressure to be at work as well as the worry over what is happening when you are not there can be a huge stress reliever that allows you to focus on growth.
How Fortuna Business Solutions Can Help
If you and your team are already overwhelmed with your current workload, the last thing you should be spending time on is going through the arduous process of recruiting, screening, interviewing, and hiring the right person for your company. Contact Fortuna today to get started on growing your business.